- Concise guide for clinicians working with or learning about this treatment technique
- Considers the evidence base and a range of clinical issues Discusses establishment of rTMS treatment programs
- Reviews potential rTMS applications beyond depression
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) treatment is increasingly a standard part of the management of patients with depression supported by a rapidly expanding research base.
This new expanded and amended concise clinical guide will serve as a reference and practical tool for clinicians working with or learning about this treatment technique. The opening chapters provide basic information on the history and development of rTMS treatment and its mechanism of action. Use of the treatment in depression is then addressed in detail, with explanation of the evidence base and discussion of a variety of clinical issues. Side-effects of treatment are explored, and careful consideration is given to the establishment of rTMS treatment programs.
There is an updated review of the use of a rTMS applications in other psychiatric conditions such as obsessive-compulsive disorder. New chapters in this edition address the use of deep TMS, theta burst stimulation, accelerated forms of rTMS and what to do in patients not responding to initial therapy.
In addition, the various approaches to treatment targeting are addressed in detail. This book will provide the rTMS practitioner or interested generalist an up-to-date and comprehensive understanding of the field as well as provide considerable practical clinical advice. Table of Contents
- TMS and rTMS: An introduction to the Basic Principles of TMS and rTMS.-
- The History of TMS and rTMS Treatment of Depression.-
- The Mechanism of action of rTMS.-
- Acute rTMS treatment for MDD.-
- Acute rTMS treatment for MDD, clinical indications / patient selection.-
- Practical Issues in Treatment Provision.-
- Switching, Continuing or Ending treatment.-
- The Use of Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Depression.-
- Theta Burst Stimulation (TBS) in rTMS Therapy.-
- Accelerated and Intensive rTMS Treatment Protocols.-
- Localization and Targeting of rTMS Treatment of Depression.-
- Treatment Intensity, the Resting Motor Threshold and rTMS Treatment Dosing.-
- Maintenance and Continuation Treatment.-
- rTMS Associated Adverse events, Safety and Monitoring.-
- Side Effects of rTMS Treatment.-
- The Use of rTMS in Other Psychiatric Disorders.-
- Equipment and rTMS Program Set up.