- Provides the latest recommendations for ultrasound of the urogenital system, particularly in the male
- Covers the purpose, benefits, limitations, performance, interpretation, and reporting of ultrasound
- Clarifies the role of intraoperative and interventional ultrasound
This book provides the latest recommendations for ultrasound examination of the entire urogenital system, particularly in the male. The coverage encompasses the role of ultrasound in imaging of disorders of the kidneys, urinary tract, prostate, seminal vesicles, bladder, testes, and penis, including male infertility disorders.
In addition, detailed consideration is given to intraoperative and interventional ultrasound and recently developed ultrasound techniques. Each chapter defines the purpose of and indications for ultrasound, identifies its benefits and limitations, specifies the technological standards for devices, outlines performance of the investigation, establishes the expected accuracy for differential diagnosis, and indicates the reporting method.
Most of the recommendations are based on review of the literature, on previous recommendations, and on the opinions of the experts of the Imaging Working Group of the Italian Society of Urology (SIU) and the Italian Society of Ultrasound in Urology, Andrology, and Nephrology (SIEUN). The book will be of value for all physicians involved in the first-line evaluation of diseases of the renal/urinary system and male genital disorders.Table of Contents
- THE KIDNEY: Ultrasound anatomy and scanning methods.- The normal kidney.- Acute and chronic nephropathy.- Ischemic nephropathy.- Cystic disease.- Kidney stones.- Renal masses.- Renal trauma.- The transplanted kidney.- Normal and pathological adrenal glands.- The use of intraoperative ultrasound in renal surgery.- The use of ultrasound in cryoablation of renal masses.- Interventional ultrasound of the kidney.-
- THE MALE PELVIS, URETERS AND URETHRA: Ultrasound study of the ureters and intrarenal excretory tract.- Functional ultrasound study of the upper excretory tract.- Ultrasound study of the urethra.- US-guided intervention in Urinary incontinence.-
- PROSTATE AND SEMINAL VESICLES: Ultrasound anatomy and scanning methods.- Inflammation.- Prostatic cysts.- Benign prostatic hypertrophy.- Prostatic carcinoma.- The seminal vesicles: normal and pathological pictures.- Interventional ultrasound of the prostate and seminal vesicles.- US-guided Treatment of Prostatic Cancer.-
- THE BLADDER AND THE PELVIC FLOOR: Ultrasound anatomy.- Neoplastic and non neoplastic disease.- Functional ultrasound.-
- THE SCROTUM: Ultrasound anatomy and scanning methods.- The testicles: cystic and solid lesions.- The testicles: trauma, inflammation, testicular torsion.- Varicocele.- The role of intraoperative ultrasound for testicular masses.-
- THE PENIS: Ultrasound anatomy and scanning methods.- Dynamic penile echocolordoppler in erectile dysfunction.- Penile ultrasound in Induratio Penis Plastica (IPP).- Penile trauma and priapism.-
- NEW TECHNOLOGIES: Recent technological evolutions and ultrasound imaging techniques.- US contrast media.- New technologies applied to MRI or CT: fusion techniques.